Here I come up with one another section of tips and tricks to pass the F5 BIG IP 101 Exam (Application delivery fundamentals) based on my own experience and the blogs I read on the internet :
- Most of the paper of 101 is based on networking fundamentals and is not easy like other vendors networking exam.
- One really need to understand the TCP/IP concepts. I remember one of the question from my exam asking the first packet number in TCP connection or how the source MAC address will be changed when packets transfers from point A to point B.
- Questions are story based where you are provided with a scenario and then you have to answer it.
- Since I was from the linux background with not much knowledge about networking, I read Applications delivery network by Philip and Steven and would highly recommend it.
- Also the study guide on F5 website is highly recommended. But do not just read this guide, also read in details or follow the links provided in this guide.
- The other resource which is helpful is CBT nuggets videos. Watching these videos can help to get speed up with learning BIG IP but they are not sufficient to pass this exam.
- During the exam, have a look at the clock. The time may tick away fast unlike other vendor exams where one has plenty of time.
All the very best for your exam and if you are still scared….remember, if you know the basics of networking, you will be through in this exam 🙂
I would love to hear the feedback from you and if you have any new tips for this exam. It would be very nice if you can share the exams topic after appearing in it. This may help other candidates. 🙂
I would not like to create dumps for the exam but just some help to our fellow friends. I will keep updating the below part as and when I will get new feedback from other exam taker.
Update : 02 July 2016 – Here are some more important topics from Jose for the exam.
unsecure sslv3 tls 2 sslv2
flow on osi when sender
ethernet on what layer is 1-2 or 2-3
advantages between virtual and hardware
advantage of active/ standby
Update : 26 July 2016 – Here are some more important topics from David for the exam.
ipv6 correct address
ipv6 127.0.0.1 eq
mss , where is defined (syn-syn/ack-ack)
ftp active and passive
3 method for authentication (ex. ldap)
220.127.116.11 is used for?
Update : 05 Oct 2016 – Here are some additional questions shared by Michal
- In what scenario full proxy is required
- Exibit where u had ( client ->proxy->LB->server ) and question was Why LB is there?? ( and answer was “because its closest to server” , “because it can forward traffic” and 2 more answers which i dont remeber .
- AAA what for the 3rd A is standing for .
- Admin have site example.com under address 18.104.22.168 and there is need to implement same site under new IP X X X X but first what you need to do is test it if its working . What will you do : change something in DNS server , change local file on server +3 more answers .
- Flow of osi when sender – when client A is sending packet to B how it will look on OSI – layer from1 to 7 or from 7 to 1 .
- There was one question about TCP dump output something like that :
- Output from trap snmp :
- Question where admin used some ip X.X.X.X/28 and something didnt work answer was easy he used broadcast ip from subnet
Update : 07 Aug 2017 – Here are some tips shared by Smith
- OSI Model ( which layer do you use in a particular situation)
- Irules iapps icontrol isessions, about this we have a lot of questions
- Modules (APM, AFM, LTM, GTM) advantages , and how it work each module
- mac masquerade
- Full half proxies in a particular situation( Which would you use)
- protocol SOAP how it works ( the correct answers was XML, HTTP)
- subnetting one question
- ipv6 2 questions (localhost, and correct ipv6)
- VLANS broadcast domain in a particular situation
- ARP 22.214.171.124 is used for?
- Questions about security models (positive and negative)
- High avabaility
- HA Active/ stanby advantages
- three way handshake, what is the last packet ? And we have to select FIN
the process of checksum in tcp
- FTP active passive
- LDAP attributes
- how can analyze and interpretation the packet capture examples
- Packet forwarding
- How many minimum connections are there in one ftp session?
HTTP keepalive (header)
Update : 11 Sep 2017 – Here are some tips shared by Baccari
*loopback @ in IPv6
*vCMP used in which f5 platforme (all f5 device or same f5 device or …)
*emailing protocol : SMTP / POPv3
*what is the first sequence number in 3-way-handshk
*protocol that minimize latency over reliability —> udp
*ldap syntax —> DN: CN=exemple, OU=exemple2, DC=exemple3 …
*Means of DN in ldap query : –> simple path name
*which provide AAA —> APM
*Model of security can implement rapidly —> negative
*model F5 work at layer 3 and 4 —> AFM
*How reciever verify non-repuduation : —> public-key
*mac masqurade provide: —> minimize arp communication and drop packet
*.com :—> top level
*MSS value in : SYN/ACK
*Third A in AAA —>
*Protect application from sql injection :—> ASM
*when sender data folow :—-> apllication to physi
*advandge of Active -Active % active – standby
*choose which protocol is link state
*when use full proxy (4-6 question about this)
*tcpdump of SNMP —-> source @ is client , dest @ is server
*primiry function of CA—> VALIDATE AND VERIFY CERTIFICATE
*Which address in data link layer redirect data —-> MAC
*Protocol that resolve IPv6 @ to IP @ :—-> NDP
*where admin used some ip X.X.X.X/28 and something didnt work answer was easy he used broadcast ip from subnet
* Which method used to verify if server support POST method —> trace
*YOU NEED TO KNOW THE CODE IN HTTP RESPONSE ( there is 2 or 3 questions i remember 302 and 401)
* Other questions about tcpdump who send ACK
*Module provide AAA —> APM
*Advandge of VE % hardware